Access for all
We The Curious is for everyone. We want to be a welcoming, inclusive, safe and accessible space for all of our visitors, staff, volunteers and partners.
Listed below are some the facilities which we hope will help make your experience as easy and enjoyable as possible.
If you need any assistance, please get in touch with our Visitor Experience team via email@example.com
Breast-feeding friendly throughout (private space available upon request)
Plenty of places to take a rest
Prayer room available on request, please get in touch with us in advance to arrange this
Pushchair and wheelchair friendly café with high chairs, plus free bottle and food warming facilities
You can also bring your own food into the venue or eat outside on Millennium or Anchor Square (re-entry is fine!)
Designated places to leave buggies
Usually lockers are available to use free of charge, however these are currently not in use due to social distancing measures
Visitors with limited mobility and wheelchair users
Free admission for dedicated assistants
Level access, with lifts to all floors
Fully accessible onsite car park, adapted pay stations and fully-automated doors onto Millennium Square - for vehicles over two metres high, due to height restrictions, please contact us in advance
Drop-off points for minibuses and coaches
Accessible toilet facilities throughout the venue including a Changing Places facility on the ground floor
Wheelchair spaces are available in the Planetarium (please contact us in advance to arrange)
Wheelchairs can be loaned for the duration of your visit (subject to availability)
Our venue hire spaces are also fully accessible for people with limited mobility and wheelchair users.
Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing visitors
Free admission for dedicated assistants
For bookings and information, a Minicom system is available on 0117 914 3475
Hearing loop in the Planetarium
We plan to have BSL signers available in the future and will update this page as soon as this is available
Blind and partially sighted visitors
Free admission for dedicated sighted assistants (sighted assistants are recommended for your visit).
Guide and assistance dogs are welcome.
Exhibits have been especially designed to cater for visually impaired visitors; this includes colour contrasts and font size on all the interactive exhibits.
Visitors with autism
- On arrival you can request over-head ear defenders
- We have weighted blankets and a quieter room with low level lighting
- Please note this room doubles up as a first aid room so there are shelves with supplies
- If this is not suitable, please talk to a member of staff
Changing Places facility
- The Changing Places facility is open to all users to the Harbourside area during our opening hours, regardless of whether or not you’re visiting We The Curious
- It's on the ground floor, just off the exhibition floor beyond the entry tills
- You’ll need a Radar DAR key to access the room, but if you don’t have one, just ask our staff at the Welcome Desk who can help you - they're also trained on how to use the facility
- You'll also need to bring your own sling
- You can find full information and details of exactly what's in the facility on the Changing Places website here.
Keeping everyone safe
To help keep everyone safe we’ve put lots of measures in place to ensure our venue is clean, well ventilated, spacious and safe.
Here’s what you can expect:
- We’re significantly limiting the number of visitors in the venue. It'll feel quite different to what you might be used to - it'll be a lot quieter and you'll have lots of space to move freely throughout the exhibits.
- You’ll need to book a timed entry slot.
- Our staff will be wearing face masks (and you’ll need to wear them too).
- You'll see lots of hand sanitiser stations around the venue.
- We’ve increased cleaning throughout the venue (including exhibition floor and toilets) and are using a disinfectant “Fogging” system.
- Our Foyer will look a bit different, with self-scan tickets points and the main desk and till points moved.
- Some spaces and activities where there are staff-led activities are available to one family or support bubble at a time. You’ll see signage at the entrance to these spaces.
Find out what else we are doing to keep everyone safe by reading our FAQs